Cynthia Burchell Patterson
Department of History
Office: Bowden 332
Phone: (404) 727-4465
Cynthia Burchell Patterson, Professor (B.A. Stanford University, 1971; Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1976); Greek history, particularly social and intellectual history including Greek historians, Plato and the Hippocratic corpus. Author of Pericles’ Citizenship Law of 451/0 B.C (1981) and The Family in Greek History (1998); editor and contributor, Antigone’s Answer: Essays on Death and Burial, Family and State in Classical Athens, Helios 33S (2006). Articles on marriage and family law and structure, burial practice and law, Herodotus, and other aspects of Greek history.
My Curriculum Vitae
- BA, Stanford University, 1971.
- PhD, University of Pennsylvania, 1976.
- Ancient Greek social and intellectual history
- Ancient Greek medicine
- Ancient Greek historiography
- Women and Gender in ancient Greece and Rome