Applying to the History PhD Program
The Department of History 2020-21 PhD application deadline is:
Please review the Laney Graduate School's:
Please note -
- GRE Scores: As of the 2018-19 application cycle and all cycles moving forward, GRE scores are not required.
- TOEFL and/or IELTS Scores: For students whose first language is not English, TOEFL and/or IELTS scores are not required.
In addition to the admission requirements of the Laney Graduate School, the Department of History PhD program also requires:
- Research Interest or Specialization: list your "Research Interest or Specialization" where indicated on the application. Your interests may be general or specific and you may list multiple interests.
- Research Experience: list your "Research Experience" where indicated on the application. List those research experiences which you see as relevant for preparing you for graduate school. Relevant experiences need not have been specifically in history but should have provided some training and involvement with historical research in general.
- A Writing Sample: upload your writing sample in the "Writing Sample" section of the application. A writing sample can be a paper written for a course or a chapter from a senior or master's thesis. Select a finished piece of work that demonstrates your writing skills and also your analytical ability. Make sure it is your best work, preferably on a subject related to your historical interests.
Application instructions and an application for admission can be found online at:
The application will go live on or shortly after September 1, 2018.